Friday, February 25, 2011

Getting some culture

Tonight, Matt and I are going to an album release concert/party for Jessica Long. Jessica's parents are good friends of Matt's parents and her mother is a gym client. Jessica and her brother also happen to be childhood friends of my cousins from when they lived in Durham so I grew up hearing lots about "the Longs", though I don't think I've ever met Jessica.

Matt's parents are keeping the kids, though before that was decided on I had thought they might be going as well. Cindy told me that Jessica would probably rather have the young crowd there (though she's having us get a cd for her) and she didn't think she was part of her target audience:) Well, as I look at myself in the mirror this morning, in my wrinkled, stained "I'm off duty, go ask dad" tshirt and my high-water bright pink sweat pants, I'm not so sure I fit the desirable demographic either!

As I try to figure out what in the world you wear to this type of event (I think it's been 8 years since I've been to a concert!), I'm reminded of my younger years when I *think* I used to be more fashion conscious. I do remember writing down every outfit I wore to school so as not to have an embarrassing repeat, though the idea that I did that is what's embarrassing now! Somewhere between college days and kids I think I lost a little bit of touch with reality and could have really been called up for "What Not to Wear". Now I don't think I'm a horrible dresser and I don't really think it's that important anyway, but I don't want to be completely out of place tonight.

I looked up a little background on Jessica to get an idea of what her music would be like. It sounds like she's very into classic rock and gave the image of a girl trying to make it in the guy's rock music world. So guess my ruffled cardigan should probably not make the scene tonight.

Oh well, regardless of what I figure out to wear tonight, I'm looking forward to getting out with Matt and doing something different! Maybe I'll just depend on Matt's fashion sense to carry us both:)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Ha! I'm sure you'll look just fine whatever you wear :) Hope you have fun!

Jeannie said...

Hilarious post. I just saw on Cindy's facebook a post about Jessica Long & I thought, wow, Cindy is really hip going to album releases & such! I didnt know they had a connection to the Longs, too. Small Durham world.

I remember the clothes log. I think you may have inspired me to start one at one point in high school, too. How mortifying. Just to be on the safe side (I mean, I've seen Matt's choice of t-shirts) maybe you should send me a picture of what you're wearing & I'll ok it. (jk) Have fun!!

Oh and PS... Really? Still sporting those pink sweats?? It's time....

Post a Comment