Saturday, March 26, 2011

Weekend so far...

(First, Happy Birthday to Matt! He is 32 today!)

So last night I decided to go ahead and start the birthday cake. I'm so glad I did because it took forever! It may not look like the most complicated thing, but I've never spent so long on a cake! And part of the time was me just standing in the kitchen, staring at it wondering what the heck I was doing!

See, I had this master plan to make a four layer superhero cake, with each layer a different color coordinating with the superhero emblem. I soon realized that getting four thick square layers that gradually increased in size was going to be a challenge all in itself, considering I only had one size of square pan. I did a lot of guesstimating, most of which turned out way off the mark, and ended up having to piece it all together and creating some sort of leaning tower of birthday cake that was only 3 layers, one of which was not thick at all.

This is when the staring began. I finally restructured my plan, rearranged my color scheme and at way past my bedtime, it all came together. And no one was sick. We were ready to party.




And then there was this morning.

Soon after breakfast, Joshua declared that his stomach hurt. While he continued to play off and on much of the day, around lunchtime, he laid on the couch and decided he'd rather nap than go to his soccer game. We weren't (and still aren't) sure if this "sickness" was more about being nervous about the game and/or not wanting to be the last one to take a turn on the field, as opposed to real sickness, so again, we wait.


I have everything ready for the party tonight and I so want it happen, particularly after the aforementioned hours of working on the cake, but from prior experience I've learned that what I want and what ends up happening are often too different things! Stay tuned for the finale of this drama:)


3 comments:

Cindy said...

Amazing birthday cake! Wow! Hope Joshua's feeling better. Loved watching the soccer game. Matt did well rounding all the kids up & sending them in the right direction to score a goal. Seemed like the kids had fun. Loved watching Gray. He ran everywhere & seemed to love when he got to kick the ball! Will try to download the pictures I took & send them.

Amanda said...

Okay, 1st of all-WHOA on the cake girl! Can't imagine how long that must have taken you...looks A-MAZING!
2nd of all-a very HAPPY b-day to Matt!
3rd of all-still hoping & praying for your party tonite!
4th of all-can't wait to see pics of the soccer game..so I'm guessing you missed it to stay home w/ Joshua? Hope you got some rest since you stayed up so late making the cake! Why would he have to be last on the field?

Holly Crabtree said...

A- Yeah, I missed the game sadly, though it probably wouldn't have been much fun taking Julia since she's been so cranky and it was kind of cold and during her nap. And they play 4 kids at a time and rotate with the rest of the team throughout the game, so Matt said since Joshua really didn't do anything during practice and was not obeying his coaches, he would be the last to rotate onto the field.

Post a Comment