Friday, March 25, 2011

The Waiting Game

I feel like waiting has characterized our lives a lot lately.

There's the waiting for our house to sell and not knowing when it will sell, what we need to do to sell it, how much longer this place will be home.

There's the waiting to find a new place to live, not knowing when the lot we had in mind will be free to build on or where we may end up if the timing doesn't work.

There's the waiting to see where the gym will be located this summer, not knowing how much the gym will grow or if expansion will bring growth.

There's the waiting to see if we can make it with just the gym to support us, again not knowing how and when the gym will bring the growth we need or when we can cut our expenses by selling the house.

Though this was pretty normal in the army, it's still strange to think that at any moment, our future can change and that it's very likely that some of the major things in our lives will look totally different in 6 months, even though we can't say how right now. It's also funny to think that even though you who are reading this may say that you know where you'll be in 6 months, in reality no one really knows what tomorrow will bring. Though we are very aware right now how uncertain our future is, isn't everyone's?

And that's how we grow in trust. Because God knows. He is not surprised by anything that happens to us. It's when I see that we can't do things--like sell our house or bring people to the gym or create a perfect lot at a perfect price in a perfect location or cause a building owner to give us a good deal on rent for the gym--that I am most aware that I am not in control. That's when I most feel God's power and my need to trust in his goodness and his love. So I may not know a lot of big things right now and I may feel a little in limbo, but I feel like God's got this.....and that's a pretty good place to be.

And then there's the waiting game I'm playing just this week. We're planning a family party for Matt and Gray tomorrow but surprise, surprise (actually not so much): Gray was throwing up earlier this week. So, while I want to be in my typical event preparation mode (ie: getting as much done as I can ahead of time so that I don't run around on Saturday like a chicken with its head cut off), I am instead in waiting-to-see-if-anyone-else-throws-up mode, which is slightly unnerving because the cake Gray has picked out may be my most complicated one yet and it's all I can do to hold myself back from the kitchen! But we wait... Patience is a virtue, right?

5 comments:

Kim said...

Great post Holly!

Kim said...

YEAH! I was able to post a comment!!!!

Jeannie said...

Aw man I really hope the virus doesnt spread & the Superhero party goes off without a hitch. I cant wait to see pictures of everything.

On another note, it is interesting how those of us who "know" where we're going to be in the next 6 mos get so comfortable in that "knowledge", as though we're in control. What a false sense of security!

Thanks for encouraging me with your faith! Love you!

Cindy said...

Great post Holly. You are wise beyond your years. He is faithful & I'm grateful for that. Will be praying for good health for your family as you go forward.

Amanda said...

It's funny-I just read something today about stepping out in faith, even though we're unsure of what could happen. Seems like you're doing that a lot in your life right now! Hoping & praying the party will happen this weekend! Can't wait to see your cake :)

Post a Comment