Thursday, September 30, 2010

Discipline Perspective

Well most of you know how thoroughly and consistently I taught and corrected Joshua when he was a baby. I don't remember a whole lot about Gray;s babyhood, but I imagine I was not quite as strict. And now that the boys are kids, when I see a baby hit another child and his mom look aghast and fuss at him, I think, "He doesn't even know what he's doing. Lighten up!" Even though I know I thought I was doing the right thing with Joshua, I guess I assume I am just wiser now, coming from the perspective of having two "big kids". I see my boys now having plenty of rebellious behavior that needs correction, but certainly they didn't do anything that was worth making a fuss about as babies, right? And my sweet little Julia just isn't capable of doing wrong on purpose, I reasoned, that is until yesterday...

I took her along with me while I provided transportation to the Burmese dad and his son to the eye doctor. I had thought this appointment would last about 30 minutes, maybe an hour when it was all said and done. I found out after waiting an hour and a half that it was a TWO to FOUR hour new patient exam. So anyway, during our 3 hours of waiting, I did a lot of walking Julia around the clinic. At one point, she jerked my hair. I told her firmly, "No," not because I thought she was trying to do wrong, but just to teach her that isn't okay. She stopped immediately and looked at me (I've seen her stop at "No" before, so I knew she was starting to understand it)...and then she jerked my hair again. I moved her hand and said, "No" again. She stared at me, said, "Nah!!" and did it again.

So now I realize that yes, it's important not to get too uptight about a baby's misbehavior, but yes, babies do misbehave and yes, they do need correction. Even when they are as cute and sweet as our little girl:)

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

Sweet sinful babies :) haha.

Gene said...

Well Julia will need to be tough to deal with her big brothers, so maybe she's practicing on you.

Post a Comment