Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Simplifying

My smart husband suggested a few weeks ago (okay, months) that we put away some of our stuff so it looks more appealing to potential buyers. I had gotten this info from other sources as well, but I am stubborn. I don't like change. So I let this idea roll around in my head for a long time and finally came to the conclusion that, considering the agents that visited our house were pretty surprised at how clean it was and said we didn't even have to have it that nice, I didn't need to do anything.

But when Matt brought it up again more recently, I went with him on it and packed away a bunch of stuff. Now I don't really know if it is helping us sell the house. Can't hurt. But I do know that I'm liking it a lot!

We don't have any toy piles in the living area anymore. Instead I cleaned out the convenient storage areas under our three end tables and have toys/books in baskets under there. The other toys that are frequently played with downstairs were able to fit in the bookshelves in the office, once I packed up some of the stuff cluttering that space.

So now it's easier to prepare for showings and it just feels less hectic. I think I'm starting to grasp the "how" of simplifying and reap the benefits! Now, what I'll do with those boxes I packed away once we move? That remains to be seen!

But thank you, Matt, for encouraging this process and sorry I was so stubborn!!

And I know I have a lot to learn about the simple life! I like this site Jeannie told me called "Simple Mom" (there's a link on the blog list to the right). Think the book by the site's creator may make my birthday wish list. The goal of the author is making your home and family life simple and organized, so that you’re free to pursue that which you’re made to do.


>Sounds good to me!

3 comments:

Gene said...

Good move Holly. Got your stubbornness from you Mother, right?

Jeannie said...

Let's see a few before & after pics!!

Holly Crabtree said...

I was looking for some, Jeannie, but since all the pictures I take of the house are hiding the junk, it's hard to find a good "before."

Post a Comment