***i typed this on matt's ipod so it might have errors!
I have been trying to get the boys to help with chores more and so far it is going well. Admittedly, it takes time at first to show them how to do stuff and even when they learn, I know I could do it faster, but little jobs add up so as long as I am not in a hurry to get stuff done, it does not really matter how long they take because I get to work on something else in the meantime. Also I think it is good that they are used to helping so it is not a big shock when they get older and I spring it on them that they have chores! Here is a list from my organizing book that gives one person's idea of what kids are capable of doing:
Carry things for you (like when I get the boys to take things upstairs for me)
Pick up toys (duh)
Get out and put up diapers (hmm..I know the author means their own, but I could teach them how to put away julia's)
Put dirty clothes in the hamper (I remember Joshua doing this as a toddler..gray could use some work)
Help unload dishwasher (this is something the boys can do on their own and just stack stuff they cannot put away on the counter; I am trying to remember to give them this chore more often)
Help set the table (I have not gotten them to do this because I rarely set the table, but I do have them bring me their bowls or get out their spoons. I usually load up everything in the kitchen.)Feed and water pets (this is now almost always the boy's job)
Run errands around the house (definitely starting to take advantage of this more, just getting them to put things away for me or bring me things...not like I sit around eating bonbons and ordering them around:) )
Help put groceries away (this is another thing that I have recently gotten the boys to do, though most of our food goes on the cabinet that they cannot reach, but they enjoy making towers of food on the counter.)
Play at sweeping and gardening (got the boys to pull weeds for me this fall and they are pretty good!)
Pull up bed clothes (??I think this means doing the first steps of making your bed but we do not make beds in our house unless we have company or I just washed the sheets:). Before you judge me for this, let me share that apparently it keeps dust mites away to leave your bed unmade because it airs out the sheets! I know, I know. I really just don't make them up out of laziness and not being a naturally neat person.)
Get out and put away shoes (definitely have the boys do this one)
At ages four to six, add:
Wipe tables and counters (had the boys dusting today and Joshua even cleaned three bathroo
Sinks!)
Help make beds (already covered this)
Put away clothes (after some practice and putting clothes in places they can reach, both boys can completely do this alone)
Carry things to and from car (the boys like this chore when I tell them how strong they are and make it seem like a bigger job than it is)
Take clothes out of dryer (another favorite)
Clear some dishes from table after meal (they put away their dishes, but I could definitely get them to help more)
Fold towels and washcloths (after one or two lessons last year, Joshua had this skill down, so I just need to make more use of it)
Help on simple cooking skills (I do not do this much with the boys, but should!)
Water plants (both boys did well with this over the summer)
Put clothes in proper light or dark basket (we only have one for their stuff)
Help vacuum or sweep or dust (need to work on this)
Help with younger kids (the boys are pretty good about this except I do not trust gray alone with Julia!)
Wash the floor with help (I use a steam mop and Joshua could probably handle this)
Put dishes in dishwasher (yep)
Help wash and dry dishes (could work on this)
Measure soap and start dishwasher (both boys help with this)
Empy dishwasher and stack dishes on counter (covered already)
Hang up towel and Washcloth after bath (think I will put hooks in the new house because a towel bar is a little challenging for them)
Fix self simple lunch (what?! This was the only revelation for me..I will have to think on that. So far they can get themselves water and sometimes milk and Joshua gets his own yogurt, but lunch would be a stretch!)
Side note, something not mentioned here that the boys do is take sheets off their beds and bring to laundry room.
If there is anything you also get your kids to do or ways to make some of this go easier, please share!
Anyway, thanks for sticking with me on this long list and hope those with little ones are encouraged to get cracking on teaching them to be your little helpers!

2 comments:
Are you running a house or a boot camp? Course, you're the warden.
Good for you, Holly! You ALL will benefit from giving the kids chores. Gary and I were not so great at that :(
Post a Comment