Every morning on the way to school, the kids and I pray out loud. I fail so many times at home to follow through with devotion plans and Bible memory verses, but when we're in the car, there's no where for anyone to go and nothing for anyone to do, so it works.
I usually suggest something we focus on that morning and I'll get maybe one sentence prayers from the boys, while I go a little longer, though I know they don't pay attention. At least that's what I thought.
This morning we were talking about Easter and why we need Jesus. We all found plenty of things to tell God about from just the hour and a half that we'd been awake that day that demonstrated how we cannot be perfect on our own. I then kept praying about our need for a Savior and our thankfulness that one day we'll be made like Jesus in heaven.
Sometimes things don't come out quite right when I pray out loud and in this case, I said something like, "Thank you that you'll make us like Jesus again in heaven." In my mind I thought, "Well not really again, except in the sense of people as a whole being made what God intended them to be like Adam and Eve at first." But I didn't say that out loud. Gray had been poking Julia and chattering away while I prayed and Joshua is usually just ready to get it over with so he can get back to reading or playing cards or whatever he likes to do in the car.
But I finished praying and there came a voice from the back seat.
(Joshua) "Mommy, we weren't ever like Jesus."
Wow. He was listening and he understands and cares enough to talk about it to me. Or maybe he just loves to correct people, but still! He gets it. I explained what I meant and he agreed, but just to be sure I got it, said again. "yeah, cause we weren't ever like him."
When I was a teenager in church there was a time of silence to confess sins. I distinctly remember coming up with something to daydream about during that time--probably a boy--because in my mind, I had nothing to confess. Seriously. I did not get that I sinned every hour of every day and needed a Savior.
My 6 year old gets that. So thankful that God is at work in him despite my shortcomings!
And in other "wow" news, Gray was chewing bubble gum this afternoon and covered his eyelids with it. When asked why, he said, "I thought I wouldn't be able to see." Wow.

2 comments:
First of all, Gray just cracks me up...that made me laugh out loud!
And that's awesome that Joshua "gets it"...just goes to show that our kids are listening when we least expect it-and God will bless our efforts! Kudos to you for keeping it up!
That is awesome about Joshua. And Gray, what can you say, other than to wonder what he will come up with next?
Post a Comment