Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Quick Trick or Treat

Halloween was pretty fun and a little busy for us. We went to the gym in the morning and dressed in our costumes for that, then came home for a little while and went back out to Joshua's school for his "fall party". I was in charge of the craft table and got to spend a little time with each of the kids. Now I know all their names and a little of their personalities. I really enjoyed it.

Sadly, Joshua is being moved to the new kindergarten class that was established to lower the class size because of the huge amount of kindergarteners this year. He told me on the way home from the party that today would be his first whole day in the class and that he had visited it before. I wondered if there was some mistake since I had written the teacher asking that he not be moved because of his insecurities in starting school and how when he has done in her class. Also I knew parents of kids who would be moved were supposed to get a call from the principal. But as it is, we were left off the call list and Joshua was right. I talked to the principal today, who said she knew about my concerns but also knew he had settled in really well and thought he'd be fine. She said she would not force him to go, particularly because of the mistake in notifying us, but that if we were okay with it, he could try out today and see how it goes. He was so matter-of-fact about the whole thing and had a great day today apparently, so we're going to go with it. It is not something I wanted, but the circumstances are all pointing to this change working, so I'm going to trust that God is allowing it for our good and not worry about it! We'll have an open house for his class next week and I met the teacher today, who seems kind and motherly. We'll see how it goes. Joshua will still see his class for "specials" (art, gym, etc) and recess and he says he's totally fine with the change.

Got a little side-tracked, but thought you may want to hear about Joshua's news. Now back to Halloween. After Joshua's party, we came home and I made dinner, which of course we ended up rushing at the end to try to have our costumes on and get down the street to go with our friends by 6. It worked out and we hit a few houses. Then Joshua declared he was all finished, so he and I went to talk to my friend who had stayed behind to give out candy, while Gray, Matt, and Julia trick-or-treated their way back to Nanny and Pa's. I remember last year being similar, where Gray couldn't get enough and Joshua was done early.

The boys picked two pieces of candy each and went off to bed at their normal bedtime. Worked out pretty well I thought! The kids definitely enjoyed it. Tonight, Gray suggested we put on our costumes and go trick or treating again after supper. Joshua understood that we can't till next year, but still wanted to put on our costumes and go "surprise" our friends down the street. And Julia, who stayed in her stroller the whole time and seemed totally oblivious to the fact that everyone else was getting candy (I think she actually doesn't even know what candy is!), said, "I wah go trick or treat." So there you have it. Fun family holiday for all!

Comparing candy with the friends.

Pausing to round up everyone and/or wait for the sweet little 2 year old twins to catch up.

Headed to the next house!

The whole fam before going out. Matt- Captain America (and he really is the essence of the character, don't you think? His army rank was Captain and he's very American and doesn't even need a muscle costume to look like a superhero!) Me- Ladybug (borrowed from Mama...you can't see my wings here) Joshua- Spiderman, Gray- Red Power Ranger, Julia- Tigger
Sweet little Tigger and her night-night
She actually kept her hood on! This was on our way to take Joshua to school/go to the gym.
If Matt is the essence of Captain America, Gray is definitely the epitome of Red Power Ranger!
Always in character
And more fierceness, in case you weren't convinced
Matt's mom was very cute as Pippy Longstocking for our morning workout. Ever seen such a cheerful rower?
Matt begrudgingly brought his mask to the gym and put it on occasionally.

4 comments:

Gene said...

Hope that things work out for Joshua in his new class. Based on your writing it does appear that he will adjust well, which is very good I think considering that he was worried at first about evening going to school.

Great Halloween pictures. Wish I could have seen everyone dressed up in person. We had lots of trick or treaters.

Funny that Gray wanted to trick or treat again.

Amanda said...

Glad you had a good Halloween & that's amazing that Joshua's okay w/ switching classes! Hope everything goes well there too!

Jeannie said...

I cant believe Joshua is in a new class! Did he leave Thinh behind?? Hope it continues to go well... he seems to definitely be maturing socially.

Love all the outfits and Gray's poses. So now we have 2 tigger outfits floating around in our family? That's what Sawyer borrowed from yall last year. Everyone looked cute/scary :) Cindy looks cute, too!

Kim said...

I was concerned about Thinh too??? Really surprised they didn't call. Glad he seems okay and sure he will do well. Glad you guys had a good night trick-or-treating with your friends. Looks fun :)

Post a Comment